News for the month from the world of IBM Licensing. Links to posts, webinars, announcements with expert commentary. I’ve done the digging so you get only the good stuff.
Thoughts on IBM licensing🤔📝
I’ve published a new post ! Top 10 Gotchas When Licensing IBM Software and SaaS and how to avoid them. I think it’s really good. A useful list of common mistakes as well as steps to remediate or avoid the gotchas.
The end of this month also marks the end of my time at EY. I’ll be sad to leave the ITAM team in EY. It’s been an education and a great experience but the siren call of consulting for myself was too strong. You can check out what I’m doing next over at License Hawk.
I’d love to hear your thought and questions related to IBM licensing. Leave a comment below or email me at email@example.com
📢News and IBM Announcements
- The big announcement this month was IBM buying Apptio for $5 billion deal for software provider Apptio. It will compliment their FinOps offering but I’m not sure what the impact will be for organisations costs.
- IBM to Announce Second-Quarter 2023 Financial Results . The ITAM Review had some comments in their vendor analysis post.
- An important one to check is the IBM schedule of removing items from the list of sub capacity eligible technologies. You need to check this regularly in case you have IBM products on old technology. You will need the 6-months to upgrade or risk being out of compliance
- Updated license guide for Red hat Open shift subscription.
What I’ve been reading, listening or watching 📚 🎧📺
- It’s an old presentation but this presentation on sub capacity licensing for IBM Power Systems PowerVM Virtualization Environment holds up quite well. If you have power systems have a read.
- Saw this post from Kathryn McNamara that might interested the mainframe people CICS Performance Tuning 2007
- Post from The Register Red Hat’s open source rot took root when IBM walked in is a bit of a history lesson. I am still trying to figure out what the licensing/subscription implications are for organizations. How long can Red Hat resist IBM blue washing?
- Post from Crayon IBM’s new licensing terms for Passport Advantage: major changes you need to know. The IPLA changes have been mentioned here before but worth a reminder read.
- In the latest release (Utah) of ServiceNow they have improved PVU/RVU calculations. It’s a long way from being a replacement for ILMT but it should be useful in tracking consumption.
- I found yet another site listing IBM acquisitions, a reminder why IBM licensing is so complex, all the new products they have to “blue wash”
I encourage you to use the hashtag hashtag#ibmlicensing when you find a post this audience might be interested in so it can be found more easily.
IBM licensing Events / Webinars 🎬📅
- I found an interesting IBM Cognos webinar series from Lodestar Solutions.
- IT Jungle have compiled a list of IBM related webinars. The focus is mainframe but if that’s your interest this is a great resource
IBM Licensing Tips 💡
- There are 10 great tips this month in my IBM licensing gotchas post
You want more on IBM licensing?
- 🧑 🤝 🧑The IBM Licensing Group on LinkedIn where you can connect with others interested in IBM licensing.
- 📚 My blog at https://www.ibmlicensingexpert.com for past articles and subscribe to my IBM license tips.
- 🎦 Watch IBM Licensing Expert on YouTube.
- #️⃣ Search LinkedIn and Twitter using the hash tag hashtag#ibmlicensing
- 📅 Archive of past newsletters
If you think a colleague would be interested in this newsletter please share this link.