Thoughts on IBM licensing🤔📝
Did you know there was an IBM price rise announced this month?
Unless you are subscribed to myNotifications from IBM you will have missed the announcement and potentially many more.
If you are responsible for IBM licensing in your organisation you need to setup myNotifications. It’s not enough to just subscribe, you must tailor it to the products your organisation have and the announcements appropriate to your role. Otherwise you will miss important updates in the blizzard of other emails.
If you are too busy or it’s not your direct responsibility then make sure someone in your organisation is getting the notifications and acting on them!
I’d love to hear your thought and questions related to IBM licensing. Leave a comment below or email me at email@example.com
📢News and IBM Announcements
- IBM announce Price Change(s) for 2024 across all products. 6% on average for distributed (server ) products. See link below for more details.
- IBM have published a IASP White Paper: “Putting clients in control of their software licensing”. All very positive as you might expect but it does indicate how serious they are about the program. Expect IASP to come up as the solution to every audit!
- HCL have updated their page on HCL Processor Value Licensing (PVU) for Distributed Software. Download here. This is a merge of multiple pages. It is consistent with IBM sub-cap rules but there are exceptions for certain HCL products.
- Latest edition the HCL BigFix Newsletter on LinkedIn. Most of the readers of this newsletter are only interest in the Inventory module (collects deployment data for licensing) but it’s useful to understand the wider use of BF
What I’ve been reading, listening or watching 📚 🎧📺
- Niall Eddery has a great post on the recent IBM price rises. The links should help you quickly find what you need
- Simple but effective flow chart describing if you need ILMT from the ExploringTM1 team. If you’re a TM1 / Planning Analytics user this site is a resource.
- Fantastic video from Mark Dudding on Overview of IBM Licensing for Distributed Software. The production on this video is excellent. I hope Mark does more of them.
- Short video on VM Manager in ILMT from the IBM Helps team. This ties in nicely to this months tip below.
I encourage you to use the hashtag #ibmlicensing when you find a post this audience might be interested in so it can be found more easily.
Events / Webinars 🎬📅
- For anyone in Sydney there’s an in-person Breakfast Briefing: IBM Passport Advantage changes. Strong panel so worth attending if you are in Sydney
- IBM Licensing In-Person Workshop in APAC from the LISA team. Lead by an excellent IBM consultant Miriam Redding.
- Another great post from Mainframerz Meetup – Open Mic Special: Tales from the workplace. Even if you don;t understand some of the topics you’ll love the images.
- For anyone in the world of IBM mainframe , GSE UK takes place on October 30th to November 2nd.
IBM Licensing Tips 💡
If you see 120 PVU in an ILMT report you probably have an issue that needs attention immediately before it becomes a significant license cost ” – post
You want more?
- 🧑🤝🧑The IBM Licensing Group on LinkedIn where you can connect with others interested in IBM licensing.
- 📚 My blog at https://www.licensehawk.com/blog/ for past articles and subscribe to my IBM license tips.
- 🎦 Watch IBM Licensing Expert on YouTube.
- #️⃣ Search LinkedIn and Twitter using the hash tag #ibmlicensing
- 📅 Archive of past newsletters
If you think a colleague would be interested in this newsletter please share this link.